Friday, March 20, 2009

Energized and Refreshed

My husband and I are on our last leg of our adventure through Vietnam and Cambodia. We've been in SE Asia for about 16 days and, while I am sad to leave, I am also excited to get back to work. We are currently in Siem Reap, Cambodia doing some last minute emailing. Originally, we hesitated travelling to Cambodia due to time limitations but it all worked out and I am glad that it did because this country is amazing and has been a highlight of our trip.

The temples, the people, and the beauty of these countries is breathtaking. I think it has been a great mix of indulgence, "roughing it", relaxation, and adventure (snorkeling, hiking, walking a ton and exploration). We did it all - Hanoi - Halong Bay - The Beach/Nha Trang - Hoi An - Island of Phu Quoc - Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon - Cambodia/Angkor Wat/Siem Reap. It was an adventure of a lifetime!

My impressions of SE Asia are mixed. This part of the world is filled with beautiful scenery and exceptionally nice people. I feel convicted in that I should do more for those in need. At times, I found it difficult to lay on the beach, ordering drinks all the while the support staff are working hard and doing so with a smile on their faces. In the past, I am not sure these things really crossed my mind, but I am grateful that I was aware of this and of the blessings we've been given. Nonetheless, tourism has been a siginificant economic driver in both Vietnam and Cambodiaand and so our "being here" is actually helping in a small way.

I look forward to sharing photos when I return to the US. Much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment