Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Adventure of My Life! Los Angeles

About 15 months ago I left my life as I knew it. I was working as a economic policy analyst, living in a great home and was surrounded with a group of caring and supportive friends and family. After watching a play in which the primary theme was aging, illness and death it got me thinking about the end of my life and the goals I hope to accomplish before I meet my maker. While this seems morbid, it was actually a wonderful time of reflection and clarity and I heard a voice very clearly telling me to savor my life and to refocus myself and my goals. Where once I was focused on living a predictable, comfortable and "safe" life, I was now moved to pursue a path less direct and one that has been rife with ambiguity and sometimes disappointment. Yet, it is also a life filled with more passion and excitement than I could have every imagined. A life lived in Los Angeles, California.

I recall reading a quote by Souza many years ago and one that is imprinted on the front of my journal that roughly states, "life is the journey not the destination". I enjoyed this quote ten years ago but for some reason, fifteen months ago it became real to me. I realized that I wasn't savoring my day-to-day life as much as I should and was focused on getting a task completed before I could enjoy my life. I believe that life should be savored and enjoyed and that each day should be lived to it's fullest because life is short.

Maybe it's the Hollywood obsession with youth that has me more aware of the brevity of my life but this is one lesson from Hollywood that I will gladly accept and be grateful for - - live life well and live it with every ounce of my being. At the end of my life, I want to look back and not say "woulda, coulda, shoulda", I want to say, thank you - - "I did".

I am excited about blogging, and would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment